If you are heading to Oogie Boogie Bash this year, we have a party plan that will help you maximize time and do it all. Five hours sounds like plenty of time, but this party flies by so quickly! (That's the wrong kind of flies IMO, but it's what hoppens when you're having too much fun!) Whether you are bringing the tadpoles or having an adults-only night out, here’s an Oogie Boogie Bash park plan that will help you make Halloween 2022 the best yet.
Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 Park Plan Overview
Oogie Boogie Bash is the most popular after-hours event at Disneyland Resort — it sold out in just a few days this summer! — and with good reason. With trick-or-treating, a Frightfully Fun parade, the Mickey Trick and Treat stage show, rare character/villain meet and greets, crazy short ride wait times and a special magical Villains Grove trail, there is so much to do and see.
The party takes place after normal park hours from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on select nights, Sept. 6 through Oct. 31. Guests may arrive as early as 3 p.m. to mix in with daytime guests.
We created this Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 party park plan (download a printable version here!) to help maximize your time and experience the lowest wait times. This plan helps you determine the approximate order to follow, as well as general strategies so you don't miss out on any of the highlights. Those five hours of party time just fly by!
Be sure to hop over to our full Oogie Boogie Bash Halloween party guide for all the details on costumes, entertainment, characters and more. And also hop back after the first party, as we will be updating our party posts with the latest information and photos! Here’s the best plan to fit it all in.
Pre-Party and Arrival Tips for Oogie Boogie Bash
You can arrive as early as 3 p.m. to enjoy the park before the party gets going. Lines to get in can be long, so arriving early can be a smart move so you do not waste any party time waiting outside the park. If you can arrive before 3 p.m., you can maximize your pre-party time. You can read up on the party in advance so you know what to expect and what will be open or closed during the party.
So, what should you do during the pre-party time?
1. Collect Your Map
First of all, take a look at your party guide and map that you receive after entering. It will tell you where to find the treat trails, characters and merchandise. Set up a game plan for the night and identify your must-see characters or any must-try party foods.
2. Take Photos
This is a great time to capture your toadally cool costumes while it’s light out and before your makeup and hair get affected by rides, food, heat, etc. You may even see some photo-ops out near the park entrance.
3. Eat Early
Unless there are some party foods you are dying to try, use this time to fuel up so you do not waste too much party time in food lines and eating. There are many Halloween Time treats and foods! (You may be able to set up mobile orders for some items before and during the party in advance.) You could also take part in Oogie Boogie Parade dining package during the pre-party — ask your waiter to upgrade to the dining package and get a voucher for a separate parade viewing area. We could not get a reservation, but we were able to join the Walk-Up List and upgrade.
4. Meet Characters
Around Carthay Circle you’ll see Disney characters in Halloween costumes. These costumes differ from their party costumes, so go ahead and meet the characters and then anticipate their costume changes later.
5. Go on Rides
Pre-party time for partygoers mixes in with day guests, so ride wait times can be long, but if you find a short ride line, go for it. Ride lines are usually much shorter an hour into party time though. (If you hoppen to also have a daytime park ticket with Genie+, you can make some Lightning Lane selections for Disney California Adventure for between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. to skip the lines. Genie+ does not operate during party hours.)
6. Experience Attractions that Close Early
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail closes by 4:30 p.m. Grizzly River Run closes at 9 p.m., but if you have special costumes, hair and makeup to preserve, you might not want to get wet.
7. Get a Head Start on Party Stuff
Hop in line for your favorite party character before the party starts. Or if your priority is must-have party merchandise, find the right spot before the party starts. We hopped in the front of the line for Sanderson Sisters an hour before the party started, which allowed us more party time.
Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 Party Time
The party officially kicks off at 6 p.m. There’s more than one way to conquer this party, based on your interests. Character meet and greets always have the longest lines at Oogie Boogie Bash. If you can already be in line to meet your must-see character before the party starts, hopfully you can fit in multiple characters. If it’s not, the Villain-themed treat trails have really fun characters in them. You can usually parade by their stage as you get your candy but you don’t get individual time with them. They are often performing or talking to the crowd. If that satisfies you, you can save a lot of party time seeing characters in that way without waiting for an individual photo, hug or autograph. And you are multi-tasking because you are collecting candy as you enjoy the character.
There are two Frightfully Fun Parades. One is at 7:45 p.m. and the other is at 10 p.m. You do not need to see it twice, so choose the one that works best for you. Take advantage of short lines for treat trails and rides during the parade you do not watch. It may be a little less crowded if you can wait for the later parade. However, if you have littles with you, you may want to see the first parade before they get too tired.
You'll need to budget time for this parade into your Oogie Boogie Bash park plan. Both parades start near Pixar Pier, so if you watch the parade near its beginning, you can end the parade sooner than people who watch in Hollywood Land.
- Start your party already in line for a character or party merchandise if that’s important to you. (Cast members may cap the Sanderson Sisters line if it gets too long.)
- Check out Mickey’s Trick and Treat in Hollywood Land (particularly if you have tadpoles).
- Go through Villain Treat Trails (see locations below and hit the ones with the shortest lines).
- Get in place 45 minutes early if you're watching the first Frightfully Fun Parade (watch near the start of the parade in Paradise Gardens Park).
- Hop by more Villain Treat Trails or character meet and greets (lines are shorter after the parade).
- Do any Halloween ride overlays or must-do rides (if you visit often, save the rides for another visit).
- Stop by Animation Academy (the schedule is posted out front).
- Get in place for the second Frightfully Fun Parade (see it in Paradise Gardens Park and then head to the Villains Grove Trail).
- Wrap up with the Villains Grove Trail.
- Enjoy the projections on Carthay Circle and the Headless Horseman statue.
Attractions That Close Early
Keep in mind that a few attractions close early. You might want to visit these during pre-party or early party time:
- Redwood Creek Challenge Trail closes at 4:30 p.m.
- Grizzly River Run closes at 9 p.m.
- Mickey’s PhilharMagic closes at 10 p.m.
Trick-or-Treat Trail Locations With Characters
There are three new villains in treat trails this year. Keep in mind that character appearances and locations are subject to change. Here is where to find the newest villains in their treat trails. Psst ... the locations are noted on the park map but not which character is there.
- Madame Mim — Hyperion Theater Courtyard (we had a short line right after party start)
- Mother Gothel — Behind Grizzly River Run
- Ernesto de la Cruz — To the left of the main entrance to Avengers Campus across from the waterfall — He closes during the parade, so hop in line as soon as the parade ends for the shortest wait.
Here's where you can find the six returning villain treat trails:
- Agatha Harkness — Avengers Campus Sanctum
- Sid — Pixar Pier Bandstand
- Dr. Facilier — By Golden Zephyr (closes during the parade)
- Cruella — Hollywood Backlot Stage
- Oogie Boogie — Inside Disney Animation
- Maleficent — To the left of Soarin'
Character Meet and Greet Locations
Some characters have meet and greet areas without treat trails (they are not noted on the park map, so use this guide):
- Minnie, Daisy and Clarabelle Cow as the Sanderson Sisters — Hollywood Land (this is a popular location. We used the pre-party time to wait to see them.
- Bruno — Grizzly Peak near The Little Mermaid — Ariel's Undersea Adventure (this is also a popular location)
- Disney Duos — Buena Vista Street and Carthay Circle area (It's pretty easy to see these characters. We saw the Blue Fairy, Merlin and Hercules)
- Kingdom Hearts Disney characters — Paradise Gardens Park
- Swashbuckling Sidekicks — Pacific Wharf
- Classic Animated Friends — Pacific Wharf
- Pixar Pals — Near Poultry Palace at Pixar Pier
- Incredibles — Incredicoaster water feature
- Residents of Cars Land — Cozy Cone Motel and near Luigi's
If you plan to hop in line closer to the end of the night, ask a cast member and confirm when the line closes so you don't miss out (just in case it's set to close early!).
Do you have any questions about the Oogie Boogie Bash 2022 park plan? Drop them in the comments section below. If you are looking for daytime park tickets and hotel rooms for the days around your Oogie Boogie Bash party, you can save some green when you purchase or reserve through Undercover Tourist.
Related: Disneyland Resort's Oogie Boogie Bash Dates, Details and Some Tips!