Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week's Theme Park Highlights:
- It's a lucky time for foodies at Disney Parks! During the month of March, guests can enjoy a wide selection of St. Patrick's Day-themed eats at both Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Starting today, March 10, guests can enjoy many gold-standard treats, such as the Mickey Shamrock Milkshake and the St. Patrick's Day Irish Coffee Tart, in the parks and hotels at Walt Disney World Resort. At Disneyland Resort, guests can taste Green Stuff, St. Patty's Cocktails, Mickey Mouse-shaped Leprechaun Doughnuts and many other green goodies!
- Comcast NBCUniversal recently announced a rebrand of the company's theme park division, formerly known as Universal Parks & Resorts. Now officially named Universal Destinations and Experiences, the company is quickly expanding and creating new experiences across the country. The park division's chairman and CEO, Mark Woodbury, explained that its new name is better aligned with the company's future destination aspirations. It's frogciting to wonder what will be announced next!
- Ahoy! Disney Cruise Line has set sail to a brand-new island destination, which will be welcoming guests in the summer of 2024! Located on the island of Eleuthera in The Bahamas, Lighthouse Point is a vibrant, culturally-rich collaboration of Disney and local artistry. Although it will offer similar amenities as Disney's first private island, Castaway Cay, this destination will offer new, thrilling Port Adventures, an adults-only beach, interactive family-friendly water areas and dreamy beaches.
- In more oinktastic news, a second Peppa Pig Theme Park is set to open in Texas in 2024! Based on the popular kids' show, "Peppa Pig," the new standalone park will be located in the city of North Richland Hills in the Dallas-Forth Worth area. Aimed toward preschool-aged tadpoles, the theme park will feature multiple rides, interactive attractions, themed playscapes and exciting shows. Guests will even be able to meet Peppa and her friends in person!
- The Force is very strong at Disney Parks this month, as the Women of the Galaxy Collection has launched on shopDisney and across Disney Parks! Celebrating the brave, freedom-fighting women of the Star Wars universe, the collection includes spirit jerseys, travel bags, homeware and mouse ears with classic designs. All of the stylish apparel is inspired by strong characters, such as Padmé Amidala, Leia Organa, Ahsoka Tano, Rey, Rose Tico, Paige Tico and Hera Syndulla.
- It's a hoppening time at Sea World Orlando! Its waterpark counterpart, Aquatica, is currently constructing a revamped children's area, which will be known as Turi's Kid Cove. The renovated area is slated to open this spring! Previously known as Kata's Kookaburra Cove, the new family water zone will feature expanded pools and a mini version of a high-thrill water slide, named Tamariki Twirl. This marks the 51st slide in the water park, and a whole lot of fun for the whole frog family!
- The long-anticipated Villas at Disneyland Hotel will open to guests starting Sept. 28, 2023! Designed as an homage to classic Disney Animation, these suites will feature almost 350 rooms, along with contemporary designs and a unique mural created by Disney Animation artist Lorelay Bové. She is known for her work on classics Disney films, from “The Princess and the Frog” to “Encanto.” So frogciting!
- Get ready to enter the grid when the highly anticipated TRON Lightcycle Run opens April 4, 2023, at Magic Kingdom. Once it officially opens, the attraction will operate only on the virtual queue system, which opens up for two daily opportunities at 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. — very similar to the current process for Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind. Hop over to our post on how to navigate the virtual queue for TRON Lightcycle/Run.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.