For many years, Universal Studios Hollywood was thought of as a "grown-up park." Perhaps that was fair since so many of its attractions and shows were themed around the movies! To this day, the Studio Tour remains the real heart and soul of the park. It takes park-goers around the Back Lot of this working studio and through some of the most famous sets in movie and TV history. But in the last few years, the park has added more kid-friendly attractions, such as Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem, DreamWorks Theatre Featuring Kung Fu Panda and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! Now, Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash has joined the pack!
While the park is more family-friendly than ever (with even more family-friendly rides planned for the future with Super Nintendo World!), even some of those "kid" rides have height requirements. So before you head to the park with your tadpoles, be sure to review the Universal Studios height requirements.
Nothing is worse than seeing tears if your little tadpole isn't tall enough to ride. Luckily, you can prep them for the trip by following this guide to Universal Studios Hollywood height requirements. And if your tadpole doesn't fully measure up, know that there is still plenty of fun for tadpoles at Universal Studios Hollywood (and Child Switch can help ensure that the grown-ups don't miss out, either).
Universal Studios Hollywood Height Requirements - 34 Inches or Taller
- Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash: Must be at least 34 inches (86 cm) tall. Children 34-48 inches (86-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
Universal Studios Hollywood Height Requirements - 39 Inches or Taller
- Flight of the Hippogriff: Must be 39 inches (99 cm) tall. Children 39-48 inches (99-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
Universal Studios Hollywood Height Requirements - 40 Inches or Taller
- Despicable Me Minion Mayhem: Must be 40 inches (102 cm) tall. Children 40-48 inches (102-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
- Transformers: The Ride-3D: Must be 40 inches (102 cm) tall. Children 40-48 inches (102-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
- The Simpsons Ride: Must be 40 inches (102 cm) tall. Children 40-48 inches (102-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
- Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge (open as of Feb. 17, 2023): Must be 40 inches (102 cm) tall. Children 40-48 inches (102-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
Universal Studios Hollywood Height Requirements - 42 Inches or Taller
- Jurassic World: The Ride: Must be 42 inches (107 cm) tall. Children 42-48 inches (107-122 cm) must be accompanied by a supervising companion (14 years or older).
Universal Studios Hollywood Height Requirements - 48 Inches or Taller
- Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey: Must be 48 inches (122 cm) tall.
- Revenge of the Mummy — The Ride: Must be 48 inches (122 cm) tall.
Got all that down? Start stretching out those frog legs! Despite meeting height requirements, your little ones may still have some fear about level of comfort on the ride. Have no fear! Many of Universal Studios Hollywood’s most exciting rides have test seats available so that guests can determine comfort and fit for themselves before riding. This is also helpful for adult guests who might be worried about fitting into the ride.
The ride test seat feature can be found outside the entrance of Flight of the Hippogriff, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and Revenge of the Mummy – The Ride. You can find the test seat for Mario Kart near the Single Rider entrance. Keep in mind that the back row has more leg room and may be a better fit for larger guests. The test seat is equivalent to the front seat.
The new Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash also has a test seat near the entrance. We highly recommend those with long legs or who are St. Bernard-sized to test the seat first. It's more of a puppy-sized seat. If you cannot fit, you'll still toadally want to hop through the adorable queue anyway.
We really recommend testing out the seat if you’re nervous about feeling too claustrophobic on a ride — no need for an unpleasant ride experience ruining your day! It can also help people get a sense of whether they will fit in the tight restraints before hopping in line.
Some rides and attractions have no height requirement, and some experiences have age requirements. Shows and the Studio Tour, DreamWorks Theatre Featuring Kung Fu Panda, Silly Swirly Fun Ride and water play areas have no height requirements. For Silly Swirly Fun Ride, riders under 48 inches (122 cm) require a supervising companion. The VIP Experience also has age requirements. Children must be 5 years old to attend and at least 17 to go on the tour without an adult.
Universal Studios Hollywood Child Switch
Universal Studios Hollywood offers Child Switch, a lifesaver for those parents who still want to ride even if their little tadpole doesn't quite measure up to the height requirements (or just doesn't want to ride period). Child Switch is available on all Universal Studios Hollywood attractions.
To use Child Switch, all you have to do is let the team member at the entrance know that you wish to use Child Switch. The entire party will go to the entrance of the line. When it is time to board, up to two adults can wait with the child in the Child Switch room (there may be videos or even toys to occupy kiddos while you wait) while the rest of the party rides. When the others return, the remaining adults can ride the attraction without having to get back in line.
The Child Switch at Mario Kart works a little different from other rides that have a Child Switch room. You wait in line together. Then one parent takes the small child and waits in a hallway, then hops in the Single Rider line when the first rider returns.
We hope you find this post outlining Universal Studios height requirements and Child Switch service helpful. Planning your next trip to Universal Studios Hollywood? Purchase discount theme park tickets and hotel rooms!
Related: Entertaining Small Children at Universal Studios Hollywood
Related: Universal Studios Hollywood Tips to Maximize Your Time
Related: When to Hop on Universal Studios Hollywood Express