Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week's Theme Park Highlights:
- Testing is underway for the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind attraction at EPCOT. A few weeks ago, we caught the first glimpse of the Nova Corps Starblaster ship, and now this week, we learned more about the Starjumper vehicles of Disney's first-ever "omnicoaster" and got a sneak peek at the ride's loading station. The ride is set to blast off later this summer, and we cannot wait for this new galactic adventure!
- Speaking of space travel, Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser set out on its first voyage on March 1! Aboard the starship, The Halycon, you can live out your own "Star Wars" adventure during an immersive two-night experience. Even Oscar Isaac, Poe Damon from the latest "Star Wars" film trilogy, hopped aboard to explore the ship and practice his lightsaber skills. Check out all of the out-of-this-world details about Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser (and start saving up your credits!).
- The EPCOT International Flower and Garden Festival is in full bloom! Catch all of the beautiful topiaries, gardens, Outdoor Kitchens and the Garden Rocks Concert Series from now until July 4. We hopped by on the first day, March 2, and have planted all of the important details in our festival guide. Over on the West Coast, Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival begins today! Follow along with us on Instagram @themeparkfrog as we snack on food and sip on wine — we'll be sharing our festival favorites!
- A new Disney Junior Fun Fest is coming to Disney California Adventure Park next month. On April 29, the one-day event will celebrate the stories from Disney Junior with sneak peeks of upcoming series, special announcements, surprise appearances, a "Doc McStuffins" stage show and a cupcake decorating course (which is also available during the Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival).
- In honor of Women's History Month, "Celebrate HER Story" at Disney World will spotlight our favorite Disney heroines, as well as the talented female cast members who create magic at the parks, through art, music, food and more. As just one way to kick off International Women's Day, Disney's All-Star Movies Resort and Disney's Art of Animation Resort will offer special items inspired by Maribel and Luisa from "Encanto," starting March 8 until the end of the month.
- Disney collaborated with the Manatee Rescue & Rehabilitation Partnership with the recent rehabilitation and release of Plantaina, who has been one of six manatees to complete rehabilitation at Disney over the last year. She was provided care at The Seas with Nemo & Friends, where she increased her weight to a healthy 680 pounds before being released back to her natural habitat. (Did you know that these sea cows can eat up to 300 pounds of seagrass per day?! That blew Tad's mind.)
- Face covering policies continue to change — Universal Studios Hollywood no longer requires face coverings, nor proof of vaccination status or a negative COVID-19 test result. Disney Cruise Line will also be dropping its mandatory mask policy in most indoor locations, beginning March 11.
- Disney Springs will be welcoming a new addition for healthy food from Local Green Atlanta, a fast-casual restaurant specializing in vegan, vegetarian and pescatarian cuisine. The Disney Springs food truck is expected to open later this month.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.