Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week's Theme Park Highlights:
- Today's the day! We are so hoppy that so many nighttime spectaculars are returning to Disneyland Resort. Tonight, Disneyland Forever fireworks and Main Street Electrical Parade return to Disneyland Park, as well as World of Color at Disney California Adventure. Check out our viewing guides for both World of Color and the Disneyland shows. We frogs will be hopping over so stay tuned for new footage, plus tips and tricks!
- At Disney World, Disney PhotoPass has released the virtual "Cinderella Castle Mural of Memories." While in Magic Kingdom, guests can use the My Disney Experience app to add select PhotoPass photos to Cinderella Castle through augmented reality. The service costs $9.99 and includes choosing a spot on the castle to digitally place your photo, which can be viewed by you and others for at least three years, as well as a special video and digital photo download.
- This week, Walt Disney World removed all face covering requirements. Previously masks were still required on enclosed Disney transportation, such as monorails and buses. Masks are now optional in all areas, though recommended in indoor locations for those not fully vaccinated.
- We're hooked on a feeling as we get close to the opening of Guardians of the Galaxy — Cosmic Rewind at EPCOT! Disney released more information about the "Awesome Mix" of songs guests will hear on the attraction. The playlist consists of six classic songs, including "September," "Disco Inferno" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World." You won't know what song you're going to get, so it's a different experience every time. We also learned more about the villain, a Celestial named Eson. May 27 can't come soon enough!
- Tarzan's Treehouse at Disneyland Park will soon get a new theme. The attraction has been under refurbishment since September and is confirmed to return with a new theme when it reopens. We’re taking bets to see what the new theme will be!
- I always adore the sweet Mother's Day offerings at Disneyland and Walt Disney World. There are lots of delicious treats and drinks this year to celebrate the Mommy Frog in your life. The MOM-mosa from Boma is definitely calling my name! Check out our guide for celebrating Mother's Day at Disney World for more ideas!
- Those visiting SeaWorld San Diego can enjoy a newly upgraded turtle habitat. After the six-month refurbishment, Turtle Reef now features building enhancements as well as additional species of turtles and tropical fish. Educational Turtle Talks will begin April 23, led by an animal educator. Count us amphibians in!
- Gatorpalooza returns to Gatorland in Orlando. Celebrating the park's birthday, the event will include live music, food and craft vendors, artisans, games and, of course, alligators. The 2nd Annual Florida Man Challenge returns, too, as competitors race through a muddy swamp full of alligators in a triathlon-style event. Gatorpalooza will be held on May 14 and 15 from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.