Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week's Theme Park Highlights:
- Break out the purple and green, practice your bead-catching skills and snack on beignets because it's Mardi Gras season! For many theme parks, this weekend is the start of Mardi Gras celebrations. Mardi Gras at Universal Orlando runs from Feb. 5 to April 24 — we've got all of the details you need to know in our guide to Universal Orlando Mardi Gras! We'll be hopping around Universal Studios Florida this weekend, so be sure to follow along with us on Instagram @ThemeParkFrog! Other events include SeaWorld San Diego's Mardi Gras, which runs on Saturdays and Sundays from Feb. 5 to 27. And Mardi Gras at Busch Gardens Tampa Bay continues its celebration through March 6. Hoppy partying!
- Speaking of Mardi Gras, did you know that Disney's Port Orleans Resort – Riverside at Walt Disney World Resort is celebrating its 30th anniversary? Celebrate by enjoying classic food, create your own parade by renting bicycles and take a ride on a horse-drawn carriage. Live musicians entertain guests at the Scat Cat's Club - Lounge on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Make sure to grab a Mickey beignet before you go!
- Guests staying at any of the hotels at Disneyland Resort can now leap into fitness classes, located at unique locations throughout the resort. Enjoy activities such as aqua yoga (count us frogs in!), obstacle challenges, meditation, yoga and more. There's even a yoga session during which you can wear Disney ears — that alone might motivate me to stretch!
- SeaWorld Orlando has been offering special previews for annual passholders ahead of the Feb. 18 launch date for its newest coaster, Ice Breaker! We lucky frogs hopped over and were able to be among the first frogs to ride it. It was toadally awesome and a whole lot of fun! We think it's the perfect coaster addition for those who aren't quite ready for Mako or Manta, but have graduated from Super Grover's Box Car Derby.
- Universal Orlando's newest Tribute Store is now open for a limited time, celebrating horror classics. Universal Monsters: A Tribute to the Creatures of the Night features themed areas inspired by Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, Frankenstein and more. The tribute store has found a temporary home inside Sahara Traders, next to the Revenge of the Mummy attraction, which is currently undergoing an extended refurbishment.
- The Disney Wish was set to sail June 9, 2022, for the first time, but unfrogtunately, the debut of the new Disney Cruise Line ship is expected to start its maiden voyage July 14. The delay affects 12 sailings, but impacted guests have already been notified. Disney has also paused new bookings for Disney Wish until Feb. 8.
- Leap knows chocolate is the way to my heart, so it's safe to say I want everything from the Valentine's Day Foodie Guide for Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort. Most offerings are only for Valentine's Day weekend, but some are available for most of February.
- In honor of Black History Month, Celebrate Soulfully returns to Walt Disney World Resort and, for the first time, Disneyland Resort. Admire the music and art of Black artists with various musical acts, art displays, exhibits and more throughout the resorts. Enjoy a taste of authentic dishes and shop for merchandise by Black chefs and designers.
- The PEANUTS Celebration at Knott's Berry Farm continues through March 6. The whole family can enjoy special activities centered around Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the whole PEANUTS gang. We had the opportunity to hop over to Knott's and had a wonderful time (I don't know who was more excited to see Snoopy, me or Lily!). Be sure to check out our PEANUTS Celebration guide for everything you need to know!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.