A note from Leap: Many of the Orlando theme parks are temporarily closed in order to limit the spread of the coronavirus disease, or COVID-19. For more details about park closures, read our blog post, which we will continue to update with the latest news.
Want to know what's going to be closed while you're visiting the theme parks? We've put together this list of Walt Disney World closings and refurbishments. Refurbishments are temporary closures and can subject to change without notice. Permanent closures are rides that are no longer active in the parks, and seasonal are those that take place annually.
Walt Disney World® Resort Refurbishments
Here is a list of all temporary Disney World closings. It is not uncommon for Disney to change refurbishment times — to move up or postpone temporary closures — so be sure to check back as your trip gets closer!
- Walt Disney World Railroad – Main Street, U.S.A.
CLOSED Early Dec. 2018 - TBD
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
CLOSED May 4-21, 2020
*The Monorail is undergoing refurbishment until further notice and may be on modified service/routes.
- Spaceship Earth
CLOSED May 26, 2020 - TBD
- Monorail on Modified Schedule
To accommodate planned maintenance, the operating schedule will be temporarily adjusted for the Epcot beam of the Walt Disney World Resort Monorail System. Monorail service to Epcot will start at 10 a.m. on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Guests looking to visit Epcot earlier in the morning on those days will be able to access the park via bus from their Resort hotel. Additional buses will transport Guests between the Transportation & Ticket Center and Epcot. Disney expects to return to normal operating hours in late March.
As part of the ongoing transformation of Epcot through 2020:
- A new, temporary Starbucks has opened in World Showcase Plaza (on the way to Canada, near the walkway to the Imagination pavilion).
- Club Cool has closed, with elements set to return in the future.
- MouseGear has moved to a temporary home this winter while its current location is reimagined. MouseGear can be found across the breezeway facing Test Track/Mission SPACE.
- Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot has temporarily closed as of Sept. 8, 2019. You can find Mickey at the entrance to Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival; Minnie is at the World Showcase Gazebo; Daisy hangs out near Future World East (by the entrance of the new MouseGear location); And Goofy roams close to the main entrance, near Spaceship Earth. You can find Joy, Ralph and Vanellope at ImageWorks.
- Pin Central will operate temporarily from a new location while refurbishment is underway. The Camera Center will close to become a new home for Pin Central.
- Heritage Manor is also scheduled to close and return early next year.
- Art of Disney will operate temporarily from The American Adventure while refurbishment is underway. Heritage Manor will later become the new home for Art of Disney offerings.
- Electric Umbrella is scheduled to close this winter. New dining options will be available in the future, featuring a variety of food and beverage selections.
- There are some walkway closures near Spaceship Earth; to get to Guest Relations, speak to a cast member at this location, who can escort you to Guest Relations.
- Kali River Rapids
CLOSED Early January 2020 - Late March 2020
- CLOSED Jan. 5, 2020 - Mid-March 2020 for seasonal refurbishment
Miniature Golf Courses
WDW Golf Courses
ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex
- Ongoing: Intermittent overnight lane closures, lane shifts, traffic congestion and noise impacts can be expected along Osceola Parkway / Victory Way.
Walt Disney World® Resort Hotel Refurbishments
These are the temporary Walt Disney World Resort Hotel closings, such as pools, shops, restaurants or any other type of rehab the hotels are undergoing. Always be sure to check this list as your trip gets closer!
- Calypso Pool
CLOSED Mid-Sept. 2020 - Mid-Dec. 2020
- Mid-Sept. 2020 - Mid-Dec. 2020: The Big Blue Pool is scheduled to be closed for refurbishment. During this time, other pool and recreation offerings will remain open-including Flippin' Fins Pool, Cozy Cone Pool and the Schoolyard Sprayground. Noise may be heard while this work is being completed, but noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
- Tri-Circle-D Ranch (Draft Horse Barn, Blacksmith Shop and Pony Farm)
CLOSED Aug. 2019 - TBD
- Cítricos will undergo renovations until summer 2020 to improve the space. As part of this renovation, the restaurant will be modified in a few different phases:
- Starting in February, the bar will be closed. Bar service and the restaurant’s award-winning wine list will continue to be available at Cítricos.
- Also in February, the menu will be modified for a limited time as the main cookline is refurbished.
- Starting in May, the dining room will be closed in sections, and the dessert menu will be modified for a limited time.
- Jan. 2020 - Early Spring 2020: The Hippy Dippy Pool is scheduled to be closed for refurbishment. During this time, Guests can use the Bowling Pool, Computer Pool and the kiddie pool. Also, Movies Under the Stars will be offered in an alternate location. Guests may notice construction noise while this refurbishment is underway, but the noise should not be heard from Guest rooms between dusk and 9:00 a.m.
Walt Disney World Permanent Closures
Here are the Walt Disney World permanent closures. These rides and attractions are those that have been recently closed for good. Often, Disney will close the doors of rides, restaurants and shops to make way for more new, exciting attractions!
- Dream Along with Mickey: Closed permanently April 2, 2016
- Main Street Electrical Parade: Closed permanently Oct. 9, 2016
- Stitch's Great Escape: Operating on seasonal schedule Oct. 2, 2016
- Wishes: Closed permanently in May 2017
- Habit Heroes inside Innoventions East: Closed permanently Jan. 18, 2016
- The Sum of All Thrills inside Innoventions East: Closed permanently Sept. 13, 2016
- Stormstruck inside Innoventions East: Closed permanently Sept. 13, 2016
- Ellen's Energy Adventure: Closed permanently Aug. 13, 2017
- The Circle of Life: Closed permanently Feb. 4, 2018
- Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids Movie Set Adventure: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- Studio Catering Co. (Disney's Hollywood Studios): Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- Mike & Sulley Meet-and-Greet: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- High Octane Refreshments: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- Prop Shop: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- The Writer's Shop: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- Watto's Grotto: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- New York News: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- Youse Guys Moychindise: Closed permanently April 3, 2016
- The Great Movie Ride: Closed permanently Aug. 13, 2017
- Flights of Wonder: Closed permanently Dec. 31, 2017
- DisneyQuest: Closed permanently July 3, 2017
- Wolfgang Puck Grand Cafe: Closed permanently Aug. 3, 2017
- La Nouba by Cirque du Soleil: Closing permanently Jan. 1, 2018
- Shark Reef: Closed permanently Oct. 3, 2016
Walt Disney World Seasonal Closures
Seasonal closures are those that take place annually and are usually a reoccurrence. These dates are estimates based on past closures.
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park: Closes January through March for seasonal refurbishment
- Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park: Closes September through January for seasonal refurbishment
- Kali River Rapids: Usually closes early January into February and sometimes March for seasonal refurbishment
- Jungle Cruise: Closes late Oct./early Nov. for holiday overlay installation; early January for holiday overlay removal
- Splash Mountain: Usually closes early January for seasonal refurbishment
Universal Orlando® Refurbishments
- Dragon Challenge (IOA) - Sept. 5, 2017
- Terminator 2®: 3D - Oct. 9, 2017
SeaWorld® Orlando Refurbishments
- Slimey's Slider
CLOSED April 6-26, 2020
- Big Bird's Twirl 'N' Whirl
CLOSED April 27 - May 17, 2020
- Sky Tower
CLOSED May 4-10, 2020
- Happy Harbor has closed to prepare for the opening of Sesame Street in 2019.
*Please Note: All refurbishments & closings are subject to change without notice.