Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, the Universal Orlando Resort, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
Here Are This Week’s Theme Park Highlights:
- As Walt Disney World Resort prepares to reopen its parks, it has made the difficult decision to cancel some of its special events for 2020, with Mickey's-Not-So-Scary Halloween Party being the most notable. Yes, we're bummed beyond belief because this is one of our very favorite events, but we understand the reasoning. “We determined that many of its hallmarks — stage shows, parades and fireworks — are unable to take place in this new, unprecedented environment,” reads the Disney Parks Blog announcement. Disney H20 Glow Nights will also not take place in 2020. (If you've purchased tickets to either of these events, you will be automatically refunded.) Disney is still waiting to make a decision on Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party and EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays. We're keeping our frog fingers crossed!
- One good tadbit of news is that Disney is going ahead with another fall favorite event, and it is starting earlier than ever! A Taste of EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival, a modified version of EPCOT's most popular festival, will debut starting July 15, offering guests access to over 20 signature global food and drink marketplaces.
- Hop of the press! Walt Disney World has released some information about its new theme park reservation system. While we don't have the full details just yet, we've rounded up what we know so far so that you can prepare! (Hint: If you haven't already linked your Walt Disney World ticketing and hotel information in My Disney Experience, you should jump on it!)
- The all-new "Bourne Stuntacular" show at Universal Studios Florida has begun technical rehearsals! We even heard some lucky guests got a sneak peek at the mixed media stage show. We can't wait to hop back and see it! (Don't try this at home, Tad!)
- And speaking of sneak peeks, the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park is roaring back into action! With enhanced health and safety measures in place for guests, employees AND the animals, the parks are ready to welcome visitors once more! We hopped in for a preview and had a toadally fun time getting up close and personal with lions, gorillas, elephants and more. You can see exactly what to expect on your next visit in the video above.
- We hope you're hungry, frog friends! Gideon’s Bakehouse will be opening at Disney Springs later this year! The award-winning, Orlando-fave is known for its small-batch, handmade, nearly half-pound cookies. (A half-pound of deliciousness? Challenge accepted!) Upon opening, you'll be able to get your cookie fix at Gideon's in The Landing.
- Hong Kong Disneyland is now open! And, ICYMI, Disneyland Resort in Anaheim is proposing a phased opening beginning July 17! Don't worry: We've got all of the reopening deets for you, as well as a full post dedicated to the status of theme parks around the world so that you can stay in the loop.
- As the Disney Parks around the world begin to reopen their gates to guests, Disney has launched a toadally super PSA featuring advice from the Incredibles and their friends. Take a look as Mr. and Mrs. Incredible, Violet, Dash and some other familiar faces "show us how to use our powers to help everyone be well."
- Hoppy 10 year anniversary to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter — Hogsmeade at Universal Orlando! We'll definitely raise a Butterbeer (or two) in its honor! What is your favorite part of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter?
- While we can't celebrate Leap in the parks this year, we can bring a little of Disney World to him at home! Adding to the pile of the toadally tasty recipes released previously, Disney Parks Blog has shared how to make honey-coriander chicken wings from ‘Ohana at Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort. Kick your feet up and chow down, Leap! And of course, Hoppy Father's Day to all you Papa Frogs out there!
That’s it for the theme park news this week! Have a great weekend.