Hip, hop, hooray! Many of the Florida and California theme parks that were temporarily closed because of COVID-19 are starting to reopen.
On the West Coast, Disney announced that Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will officially reopen April 30, 2021! This hoppin' news comes shortly after it was announced that amended reopening guidelines will allow California theme parks to reopen at 15% capacity in the red/substantial tier 2, starting April 1, 2021. Capacity levels will shift in the orange/moderate tier 3 and yellow/minimal tier 4. Attendance will initially be limited to California residents. Universal Studios Hollywood will reopen April 16, 2021.
Over in Florida, Universal Orlando Resort reopened its parks to the public June 5, 2020, with limited capacity and temperature checks in place. Walt Disney World Resort reopened Magic Kingdom Park and Disney's Animal Kingdom on July 11, 2020, and EPCOT and Disney's Hollywood Studios followed July 15, 2020.
These stateside re-openings follow the phased reopening of Shanghai Disneyland on May 11, 2020.
Here's the latest information about the status of the ski resorts, theme parks and resort hotels. We will continue to update as we learn more.
A few important notes: If Walt Disney World extends the theme park and resort closure, any impacted dates will automatically be covered. Your tickets will not lose their value!
- If your Walt Disney World date-based tickets are impacted, your ticket usage window will automatically be extended. You do not need to do anything!
- If your Walt Disney World Resort hotel dates are impacted, we will automatically cancel them for you. You do not need to reach out to us!
We are including helpful information if you have tickets below, but please also refer to our FAQs. If your travel plans are impacted within the next seven days and you do not see your question below, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of "URGENT."
Current Status of Theme Parks and Resort Hotels
- Walt Disney World Resort - Walt Disney World Resort had a phased reopening of its theme parks, beginning with Magic Kingdom Park and Disney's Animal Kingdom July 11, 2020. EPCOT and Disney's Hollywood Studios followed July 15, 2020.
- Walt Disney World water parks partially splashed back into action in 2021. Disney’s Blizzard Beach water park reopened March 7, 2021. Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon water park will remain closed until further notice.
- Disney-owned and-operated hotels at Walt Disney World Resort have begun to reopen. Disney Vacation Club properties at Walt Disney World and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground reopened to members and guests June 22, 2020, and other Walt Disney World Resort hotels have reopened since then. Disney Vacation Club properties in Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina, reopened June 15, 2020. Disney's Aulani reopened Nov. 1, 2020.
- Disney Springs in Florida began a phased reopening May 20, 2020. During the initial opening phase, Disney Springs has limitations on capacity, parking and operating hours. Guests and cast members are required to wear face coverings. For more information, read our separate post about its reopening guidelines and procedures.
- Universal Orlando Resort - Universal's Islands of Adventure, Universal Studios Florida and Universal's Volcano Bay water theme park reopened to the public June 5, 2020.
- Universal CityWalk at Universal Orlando began limited operation of select venues May 14, 2020. Face coverings are required for team members and guests. Temperature checks will be done for guests upon arrival. Cashless payments are available at all venues, and self-parking will be free. For more information, read our separate post about its reopening guidelines and procedures.
- Select Universal Orlando Resort Hotels reopened June 2, 2020. The phased reopening of hotels included Hard Rock Hotel, Loews Royal Pacific Resort, Loews Sapphire Falls Resort, Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Universal's Aventura Hotel and Universal's Endless Summer Resort - Surfside Inn and Suites. Loews Portofino Bay Hotel and Universal's Endless Summer Resort - Dockside Inn and Suites both opened in December 2020. Universal's Aventura Hotel and Loews Sapphire Falls Resort temporarily closed Jan. 1, 2021.
- SeaWorld Orlando - SeaWorld Orlando reopened to the public June 11, 2020. For more information, read our separate post about its reopening guidelines and procedures.
- Aquatica Orlando - Aquatica Orlando reopened to the public June 11, 2020.
- Discovery Cove - Discovery Cove reopened to the public June 11, 2020.
- Busch Gardens Tampa - Busch Gardens Tampa reopened to the public June 11, 2020.
- LEGOLAND Florida Resort - LEGOLAND Florida officially reopened June 1, 2020. Its newest hotel, Pirate Island Hotel, also opened June 1, 2020. For more information, read our separate post about its reopening guidelines and procedures.
- Fun Spot America has reopened its Orlando and Kissimmee locations.
- ICON Park attractions, The Wheel at ICON Park, Madame Tussauds Orlando and SEA LIFE Aquarium, have reopened.
Southern California had a Regional Stay-at-Home Order in effect Dec. 7, 2020, through Jan. 25, 2021. That affected theme park, zoo and aquarium events and dining, which have since reopened. Keep hopping back for updates!
- Disneyland Resort - Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park will officially open April 30, 2021! Disney originally proposed a phased reopening, beginning July 9, 2020, with Downtown Disney. Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa plans to reopen on April 29, 2021, with limited capacity. Disney Vacation Club Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will plan to reopen May 2, 2021. Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel and the Disneyland Hotel will reopen at a later date. A new ticketed food event also started in March 2021.
- Downtown Disney in California began a phased reopening July 9, 2020.
- Universal Studios Hollywood - Universal CityWalk began a limited reopening June 10, 2020. Universal Studios Hollywood will reopen April 16, 2021.
- Knott's Berry Farm - Knott’s Berry Farm reopens May 21, 2021 (May 6 for passholders). Knott's Berry Farm Hotel reopened Aug. 21, 2020. The California Marketplace is open, including Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant, as well as seasonal events. For more information, visit our complete guide to Knott's Berry Farm events.
- Aquarium of the Pacific - Aquarium of the Pacific reopened Feb. 1, 2021. Only outdoor areas are open.
- SeaWorld San Diego - SeaWorld San Diego has reopened with rides as of April 12, 2021. You can see all of the reopening details to know before you go here.
- San Diego Zoo - San Diego Zoo and Safari Park reopened Jan. 30, 2021. There is a new reservations system in place with dated ticket sales.
- LEGOLAND California - LEGOLAND California reopens with limited attractions for preview days on April 1, 2021. The LEGOLAND theme park, CHIMA Water Park and SEA LIFE Aquarium fully reopen April 15. The LEGOLAND Hotels are open now.
- Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California, reopened April 1–2, 2021, for passholders, and April 3, 2021, for general admission.
Disney Cruise Line
- Disney Cruise Line has suspended all departures through June 2021, and select Disney Magic sailings through September 18, 2021.
Six Flags announced it would delay the opening or suspend the operations for the following parks and is re-evaluating on a park-by-park basis:
- Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, California, reopens April 1, 2021 (for pass holders April 1–2 and the general public April 3).
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Valencia, California is expected to reopen in 2021.
- Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo, California reopens April 1, 2021. (The Marine World Experience is open with reservations for select days.)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Concord, California is temporarily closed.
- Hurricane Harbor Phoenix in Phoenix, Arizona (Reopened June 15, 2020)
- Six Flags Over Georgia in Austell, Georgia (Reopened June 22, 2020, and reopens for select days beginning March 27, 2021)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Austell, Georgia (Reopened June 22, 2020)
- Six Flags White Water in Marietta, Georgia (Reopened select days with reservation and reopens for the season May 8, 2021)
- Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington, Texas (Reopened June 22, 2020)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Arlington, Texas (Reopened June 22, 2020)
- Six Flags Fiesta Texas in San Antonio, Texas (Reopened June 22, 2020 and reopens for the season for select days March 27, 2021)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor Splashtown in Houston, Texas (Reopens May 1, 2021)
- Frontier City in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Reopened June 5, 2020, and reopens for 2021 season March 27, 2021)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (Reopened)
- Six Flags St. Louis in Eureka, Missouri (Reopened June 26, 2020, for select days and reopens for 2021 season select days beginning March 24, 2021)
- Six Flag America in Upper Marlboro, Maryland (Theme park and water park reopened for select days and reopens for the 2021 season for select days as of March 27, 2021)
- Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari in Jackson, New Jersey (Drive-through safari opened May 30, 2020, and theme park reopened July 3, 2020. Both reopen for the season March 27, 2021.)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Jackson, New Jersey (Reopened select days and reopns for season May 15 for select days)
- Six Flags Darien Lake in Buffalo, New York, reopens May 21, 2021
- Six Flags Great Escape Lodge & Indoor Waterpark (Water Park reopens for season May 29, 2021)
- Six Flags Great America in Gurnee, Illinois (Reopens April 24, 2021)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Gurnee, Illinois (Reopened July 27, 2020)
- Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Rockford, Illinois (Reopened July 2, 2020 and reopens for season May 29, 2021)
Cedar Fair will reopen theme parks and water parks on a park-by-park basis. Most of these parks are seasonal and close for the colder months even after reopening for summer.
- Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, California, remains closed, however, Knott's Berry Farm plans to reopen May 2021. In the meantime, Knott's Berry Farm has been holding food evetns. Hop over to our Knott's Berry Farm reopening and Knott's Berry Farm Events posts for details.
- Knott's Soak City
- California's Great America in Santa Clara, California, has set a reopening date for May 22, 2021.
- Canada's Wonderland in Vaughn, Ontario, reopens May 14, 2021.
- Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina, reopens May 22, 2021.
- Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, began a phased reopening July 9, 2020 and reopens in 2021 on May 14, 2021.
- Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, reopened July 11, 2020, and reopens for the season May 22, 2021.
- Kings Dominion in Doswell, Virginia, reopens May 22, 202.
- Kings Island in Mason, Ohio, reopened July 2, 2020.
- Michigan's Adventure Waterpark in Muskegon, Michigan, reopened July 16, 2020, and reopens for the season May 29, 2021.
- Valleyfair in Minneapolis, Minnesota, reopens May 22, 2021.
- Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri, reopened June 22, 2020, and reopens for the season May 22, 2021.
- Oceans of Fun in Kansas City, Missouri, reopens May 29, 2021.
- Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels, Texas reopened June 13, 2020.
- Schlitterbahn in Galveston, Texas, reopened June 13, 2020.
- Shanghai Disney Resort partially resumed operations March 9, 2020 at Disneytown, Wishing Star Park and Shanghai Disneyland Hotel. The park reopened May 11, 2020.
- Disneyland Paris reopened July 15. The park temporarily closed beginning Oct. 30, 2020. The park was originally scheduled to reopen April 2, 2021, but that has been delayed.
- Tokyo Disney Resort reopened July 1, 2020 (including Tokyo DisneySea).
- Hong Kong Disneyland Resort reopened June 18, 2020, and temporarily closed July 15, 2020. It reopened Sept. 25, 2020, but closed again Dec. 2, 2020. It reopened Feb. 19, 2021.
- Universal Studios Japan has reopened gradually, starting June 8, 2020, with a registration period for residents of Osaka Prefecture, and June 19, 2020, for residents of nearby regions.
How to Share the Disappointment of a Canceled Trip
Many families are facing this dilemma right now and we feel you. We've put together a post with ideas on how to share the disappointment with your kids. Plus we've created this toadally awesome, printable Travel Activity Book that your tadpoles can do at home!
Helpful Information If You Have Tickets
Walt Disney World Resort tickets don't lose their value. If you have an unused multi-day ticket that has been impacted by the current closures, please see updates below. You will be able to book your Advance Dining Reservations on My Disney Experience 60-days in advance of your theme park visit. Certain experiences may be modified or unavailable, including FastPass+ service. After you have linked tickets, it may take some time (a few hours up to a few days) before they appear.
- Unexpired multi-day theme park tickets with unused days, or date-specific theme park tickets with a valid use period between March 12, 2020, through the closure will automatically be extended to use any date through Dec. 15, 2020. If you are unable to visit before Dec. 15, 2020, you may apply the value of a wholly unused ticket toward the purchase of a ticket for a future date through My Disney Experience.
- For impacted visits, there may be some delay before you see an updated expiration date in My Disney Experience.
- Guests who have purchased tickets for Disney After Hours and Disney Villains After Hours from March 16 through the closure will be automatically refunded.
- Guests who have purchased tickets for Disney H2O Glow Nights and Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party will be automatically refunded.
Customers with impacted check-in dates between March 20 through the closure at any Walt Disney World Resort hotel will automatically be canceled and refunded 100%. You do not need to contact us for this request.
Most Universal Orlando Resort tickets are valid up to 12 months from order date. If you have a promo ticket with “3rd Park Free”, the expiration will change from 5/22/20 to 12/18/20. If you have a current 2020 PROMO ticket, the expiration date has been extended to Dec. 17, 2021. Please see specific tickets for details.
During the closure, customers with impacted check-in dates between March 20 through May 31 at any Universal Orlando Resort Hotel will automatically be canceled and refunded 100%.
Most LEGO Florida tickets are also valid for 1 year from date of purchase. Please see ticket details for more information.
Most SeaWorld Entertainment (SeaWorld, Discovery Cove and Busch Gardens) tickets are valid for one year from date of purchase. If you have a Discovery Cove or other reservation based ticket (Quick Queue, etc.) for a date prior to May 15, 2020, you may reschedule for free for any date prior to Dec. 31, 2021. Other tickets expiring while the park is temporarily closed will be automatically extended by one month.
Most Disneyland Resort theme park tickets are valid through 2022. Please see specific tickets for details.
- Unused non-promotional single day tickets that expire on Dec. 30, 2021, or March 31, 2022, will have the expiration date extended to Dec. 30, 2022. Wholly unused, non-promotional multi-day tickets that expire on Jan. 12, 2022, or April 13, 2022, will have the expiration date extended to Jan. 12, 2023, and the ticket will expire 13 days after first use or on Jan. 12, 2023, whichever occurs first.
- Guests with multi-day tickets who used their first visit between Feb. 28, 2020, and March 13, 2020, but did not reach their ticket’s maximum number of uses, will have the 13-day expiration period of their ticket extended to Dec. 30, 2022.
- Wholly unused promotional Child Tickets will be extended through Dec. 16, 2021. Guests who made their first visit between Feb. 28 and March 13, but did not reach their ticket’s maximum number of uses, will have the 13-day expiration period of their promotional tickets extended to Dec. 16, 2021. Block out days of 12/19/20-01/04/21, 03/26/21-04/11/21, 7/4/21 and 11/20/21-11/27/21 apply.
- The expiration date for the promotional Southern California Tickets will be extended through Dec. 16, 2021. Block out days of 11/21/20-11/28/20, 12/19/20-01/10/21, 03/26/21- 04/11/21, 7/4/21 and 11/20/21-11/27/21 apply.
- During the closure, the Hotels of Disneyland Resort will be 100% refunded.
Most Universal Studios Hollywood tickets are valid into 2021. If you have a SoCal promo ticket, the expiration has been extended from April 2, 2020, to Dec. 18, 2020. Please see specific tickets for details.
LEGOLAND California tickets are valid until March 31, 2021.
San Diego Zoo and Safari Park tickets are valid for one year from purchase date.
If you have planned to arrive from a country impacted by a travel ban, we will provide a 100% refund on your tickets. Please contact our customer service team with your order number at email@example.com and we will assist you. Thank you for your patience as we work through refunds as quickly as possible.
We have taken care of hundreds of millions of families for over 20 years and we will continue to do that now. Please bear with us as we work through all the updates coming to our team right now.