We assembled with other Super Hero hopefuls at the opening of Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure on June 4, 2021! What a day! Our crew of recruits always plan perfect outfits and DisneyBounds. We worked on our secret identities, but we really worked up an appetite when we visited Avengers Campus. It’s always about food at Disneyland with us hungry frogs, but we are especially excited about these dishes, drinks and treats. And of course, everyone is talking about the $100 Pym-ini sandwich! Like the immersive Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge land, the food in this land is unique and part of the world of the Avengers. Rather than typical theme park food and touristy treats, this is the food the Avengers choose to eat and create themselves. Appetites — assemble!
Our Super Foodie Guide to the Restaurants at Avengers Campus
There is one main restaurant at Avengers Campus. The Pym Testing Kitchen is a quick-service restaurant that offers meals, snacks and beverages. The next-door Pym Tasting Lab is more like a quick-service lounge with beverages and snacks. Both offer Mobile Order and at times may take Mobile Order only. There are also a few food carts. Keep in the mind the situation is new and subject to change at anytime. Mobile Order was completely sold out early in the day on opening day, so now guests can order food during short windows that open on a rolling basis throughout the day. Trust us when we say it's more fair to the people in the land who want to eat.
Keep hopping back for updates as the situation may change. For instance, Shawarma Palace carts were originally on Mobile Order but are walk-up only for now. Of course, this is subject to change. So just check the app and be prepared for whatever comes your way — much like an Avenger — when you visit. When the land is at capacity, which may be often for awhile, you'll need to wait in a standby line to enter unless you have a Boarding Group in the virtual queue for WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure. That's your ticket into the land, and slinging webs on the ride itself will definitely help you work up a heroic appetite!
Pym Test Kitchen Featuring Impossible Foods
We were so excited to visit this old lab facility that's now a quick-service restaurant to see it in action. The "lab technicians" wear lab coats. Your food is served on Scott Lang's lab notes. The menu outside is on a giant cell phone screen. Just. so. cool. But wait — there's more!
The concept is that it uses Pym Particles to grow and shrink foods. In the movies, Ant-Man and The Wasp use Pym Particles to grow and shrink just about anything. Take a look around the restaurant area to see the results of past Pym Particle experiments. Note the gigantic condiment bottles and soda cans.
When you enter, you get to watch the growing or shrinking of a pretzel as it makes its way through the quantum tunnel directly above the kitchen. Watch it go from large to small, small to large, then the final result: a super-sized pretzel perfect to share! With a growing tween with an uncontrollable appetite, I may need to look into this technology. FYI, we tasted this pretzel and the whole family approves.
But today, the subject is your meal. Campus visitors are the taste-testers, getting to enjoy hero-sized meals and tiny treats while watching the Pym food scientists at work in the kitchen lab.
Pym Test Kitchen serves breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks! With limited breakfast choices in the theme parks these days, we need to take a moment to do the froggy happy dance that we'll have some morning choices again — and super fun ones at that! Here’s a look at the menus.
- Calculated Breakfast = E x 2 + (B+P)/T — Eggs Two Ways with smoked bacon, crispy potato bites and focaccia toast
- Impossible Quantum Garden Breakfast — Plant-based folded omelet with Impossible breakfast sausage, crispy potato bites and focaccia toast
- Ever-Expanding Cinna-Pym Toast — Baked Pym particle bread and egg custard with cinnamon-sugar topping, a fried egg, smoked bacon and maple syrup
- Spoonful of Cereal — Bran flakes and raisins garnished with a yogurt-covered pretzel and served with reduced-fat milk and a ripe banana
- Nano Eggs-periment 101 — Softly arranged eggs and turkey bacon with toast (for small beings ages 3 through 9)
- Cinna-Pym Mini Toast — Warm toasted cinnamon Pym particle bread with turkey bacon and maple syrup (for small beings ages 3 through 9)
You can also get a side of bacon, turkey bacon, potato bites or mandarin oranges.
If you have a morning sweet tooth, the Celestial-sized Candy Bar: Choco-Smash is also available at breakfast!
Lunch and Dinner
Menus are are divided up by Blue Particle Specials and Red Particle Specials, as Blue Pym Particles expand items — sometimes to sharable sizes — and Red Pym Particles shrink them (for smaller tadpoles). We ordered one of everything off the adult menu because it was too hard to decide! No, we did not get the family-sized Pym-ini, but we did take a look at it! It comes in eight slices.
Blue Particle Specials (meals and desserts) include:
- Pym-ini — Salami, rosemary ham, Provolone, sun-dried tomato spread on toasted focaccia with marinara dipping sauce and arugula salad. It's served by the slice ($14.49) or in a shareable family-sized format (serves six to eight people for $99.99).
- Not So Little Chicken Sandwich — Fried chicken breast, teriyaki and red chili sauces, pickled cabbage slaw on brioche with crispy potato bites. The chicken is delicious, but you'll want to grab a fork and knife to eat it! The sauce has a little kick to it but we did not find it too spicy.
- PB3 Superb Sandwich — Warm PB&J with banana and candied bacon on Pym particle bread, with micro banana smoothie and crispy potato bites.
- Caesar Salad + Colossal Crouton — Hearts of romaine, Kalamata olives, pickled onions, Caesar dressing, garlic crouton and Parmesan crisps. It's a full-on head of romaine, so grab that knife to cut it up yourself. The salad is very tasty. Notice the large crouton has blue particles swirled in and the tiny croutons have red. We love the delicious details!
- Impossible Spoonful — Rigatoni and ditalini pastas, plant-based meat-balls, tomato sauce, dairy-free Parmesan and micro basil
- Choco Smash CANDY Bar — Dark chocolate (it isn't very dark) on the outside with peanuts, caramel, nougat and chocolate brownie inside. This is HUGE. And you really can't easily take it with you the way it's wrapped, so make sure you save room to share it for dessert. And you guessed it, you'll need a knife to cut into it. It tasted a lot like a giant Snickers bar.
Available sides include arugula salad, slaw, cheese-beer sauce, marinara sauce, candied bacon, potato bites and mandarins.
Red Particles shrink down aspects of the adult meals to tadpole size. These are smaller version of the adult meals. The Mini-Meals for small Terrans ages 3 through 9 include a Cuties mandarin orange, Dannon Yogurt and a choice of small lowfat milk or small DASANI Water (except Mini Pasta & Impossible Meat-balls).
- Teeny Pym-ini — Toasted ham and provolone sandwich with marinara dipping sauce
- Subatomic Chicken Sandwich — Crispy breaded chicken breast on a soft roll
- PB&J Flavor Lab: Assemble Your Own Experiment — Smooth peanut butter, strawberry jelly and Pym particle bread. Kids and young lab techs can use a wooden spoon to build their own version of a PB&J.
- Mini Pasta & Impossible Meat-balls — Rigatoni and ditalini pastas, plant-based meat-balls, tomato sauce and dairy-free Parmesan served with coconut milk yogurt and small DASANI water
- Quantum Pretzel — Weighing in at 453.8 grams, this Bavarian-style pretzel has a sharp cheddar-beer sauce and is perfect for sharing with friends
- Atomic Fusion Pretzel — Buffalo-style pretzel loaded with chicken, hot sauce, ranch dressing, blue cheese crumbles, celery and dill-pickled carrots
- Pingo Doce — Refreshing lemon-lime with a vanilla kick! This distinctly green beverage from Avengers lore is available exclusively at Avengers Campus. It's available from the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine. This sweet green drink can best be compared to a vanilla Sprite.
- Proton PB&J Punch — Minute Maid Lemonade with peanut butter and strawberry flavors, PB-infused whipped cream and PB pretzel spheres. We tried this too and it has a strong strawberry jelly flavor. We decided we'd rather eat the sandwich than drink it!
Even the serving vessels and utensils at Pym Test Kitchen do not escape the effects of “Pym Particles.” That makes for a visually fun presentation.
Do not froget the fun novelties such as the Glowing Pym Particle Capsule, Glowing Pym Particle Disc and Enlarged Pingo Doce Soda Can.
- Coors Light
- Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing
- Tio Rodrigo Blood Orange Michelada with Chamoy
- Beer Mimosa — Sierra Nevada Hazy Little Thing with orange juice
Pym Tasting Lab
Looking for something a little harder? The oversized beer can next door to The Pym Tasting Lab may clue you in to what kinds of beverages are available at this location. The Pym Tasting Lab is brewing up cocktail experiments, craft beers with unique beer taps that fill glasses from the bottom up (we ordered a beer just to watch it fill and it was well worth it!) and Snack Molecules. Here’s a look at the lounge menu:
- Honey Buzz — Gin, lemon juice, and honey syrup with a honey straw
- X-Periment — Tequila, Minute Maid lime juice, mango and habanero syrups with mango popping pearls
- Honey Fusion — Gin, Minute Maid lemonade, honey syrup, IPA and a honey straw
- Molecular Meltdown — Marshmallow milk stout and vanilla ice cream topped with miniature marshmallows
- The Regulator — Tequila, Minute Maid lime juice, mango and habanero syrup, wheat ale and mango popping pearls
- Particle Fizz — Hard seltzer with cherry pearls
- Draft beer
- Hard seltzer
- Snack Molecules — Mini pretzels, honey roasted peanuts and sweet and spicy popped sorghum. I guess Red Particles had their way with these snacks. I hope the calories shrunk with the foods too!
The cocktails come in a souvenir beaker cup.
Avengers Campus Food Stands for Snacks and Meals On-the-Go
Terra is a planet in the "Guardians of the Galaxy" films. It’s also known to its inhabitants as Earth. Earthlings are called Terrans. And what do Terrans/human Earthlings almost universally love? Churros! (Prove me wrong.)
You’ll find Terran Treats selling colorful round churros, called Sweet Spiral Rations (the colors have unique flavors). This stand is located across from Guardians of the Galaxy. Perhaps wait until after you ride Guardians before partaking.
The other treat is a Cosmic Cream Orb. This crispy cream puff is filled with colorful whipped raspberry cheesecake mousse.
Shawarma Palace (centrally located in the land) and Shawarma Palace Too (between the Hyperion and Guardians)
When the Avengers are ravenous after an epic battle, they’ve been known to refuel at Shawarma Palace. Now you can too (without the battle)! The Avengers convinced Shawarma Palace to open a food stand (or two) on campus. Is there anything Tony Stark cannot accomplish? Hop by the food stand for a chicken or vegetarian version of this wrap. Both come with a coconut yogurt tahini creamy sauce for dipping. The sauce is so yummy!
We tried one of each shawarma:
- New York’s Tastiest — Warm chicken wrap with garlic sauce
- Impossible Victory Falafel — Hummus and crusted cauliflower
Fans will surely notice all of the Avengers memorabilia on the carts. Each cart has different stickers and such.
Avengers Campus Food Novelties
What’s more fun than trying new, themed foods at Disneyland? Acquire souvenir food and beverage novelties to enjoy at home such as:
- Glowing Pym Particle Capsule and Glowing Pym Particle Disc — Light up your beverage with a red or blue glowing Pym particle capsule or disc
- Enlarged Pingo Doce Soda Can — Filled with Pingo Doce or your favorite Coca-Cola beverage
- Iron Man Infinity Gauntlet — A great way to hold your favorite Coca-Cola bottled beverage
- Pint-Sized Pints Mini Beer Flight — Oversized ruler flight board with mini beer steins (toadally cool looking, BTW).
You may be able to skip the lines by using Mobile Order to get these items when available.
What new Avengers Campus foods are you most excited to try? I know, it's so hard to decide! If you are looking to visit Avengers Campus, you'll need to purchase Disneyland theme park tickets (Pssst ... you can save money on discount Disneyland Resort multi-day tickets through Undercover Tourist) and make a park reservation. You'll need to plan ahead for your visit as capacity is limited and demand is high.