Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- By now you've heard the good news that the Seven Dwarfs mine train is opening May 28. Even better, FastPass+ is now available for the family coaster! Be sure and book this as soon as your FastPass+ availability opens up (60 days in advance for resort guests, 30 days in advance for non-resort guests). We're keeping our fingers crossed that there will be soft openings ahead of the official date for those of you heading to Magic Kingdom Park before then.
- For those of you planning to attend Star Wars Weekends, FastPass+ has been made available for some of the events. It's important to keep in mind that they are in the Tier 1 category, and thus you can only select one for FastPass+.
- The "Festival of the Lion King" reopening is set for this June in a brand-new theater at Disney's Animal Kingdom. The cast of the show, who are busy with rehearsals for the show, got a preview of the newly built Harambe Theatre. Can I get a "ROAR!" if you're excited about the return of the Lion King show?
- You might have read earlier this week that Disney's Animal Kingdom is planning two new nighttime events, one which will begin this summer. Additionally, Disney's Animal Kingdom is debuting a new show starring macaws some time this summer. "Winged Encounters -- The Kingdom Takes Flight" will feature macaws in flight and take place on Discovery Island. We love Disney's Animal Kingdom, and it's not just because we're frogs either. The animal encounters and entertainment experiences add up to one fantastic park!
- Dates released for this year's Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party and Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party have been revealed!
- Ihu's Breakaway Falls opened to rave reviews at Aquatica. Judging by the faces of those who braved the tallest, steepest water slide of its kind looks like a blast.
- Still no official opening date for the Harry Potter expansion, but the Today show's Al Roker did get a sneak peek inside the Gringotts Bank ride and shared the video. Expect more reveals from the Today Show starting May 13!
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.