LEAP'S NOTE - Hi. You may have hopped here looking for information on Disney MaxPass. This new optional FASTPASS add-on will debut July 19, 2017.
We're always looking for tips to make the most of our time at the Happiest Place on Earth. One of the best ways to save time AND experience the most popular attractions and shows is through the Disneyland FASTPASS Service. It's FREE and available to all park guests.
While it initially can seem a little confusing, once you know how it works, it can mean the difference between a 10-minute wait (or less) and a two-hour wait. We like to think of it as one of our many tools for maximizing time at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure! With the information provided in this post, you can too.
The Disneyland FASTPASS Service allows you to skip the lines for some of your favorite attractions in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure Parks. Today, we're walking you through all of the ins and outs of the Disneyland FASTPASS Service. Let's jump right to it!
How to Use Disneyland FASTPASS Service
A number of Disneyland Resort attractions (listed below) offer FASTPASS, which allows you to skip the regular line or reserve a spot at a show. To use the Disneyland FASTPASS Service, all you need to do is:
- Go to the FASTPASS distribution kiosk of the attraction you want to ride to see the standby and FASTPASS return time.*
- If the return time works for you, insert your admission ticket into the FASTPASS machine and you will receive a FASTPASS return time ticket.
- During your return time, visit the attraction FASTPASS entrance with your park admission ticket. The Cast Member will scan your ticket.
* Some FASTPASS distribution kiosks are located in another location than the actual attraction.
So Long Paper Disneyland FASTPASS Tickets
Ever since the FASTPASS system was placed inside Disneyland, the printed FASTPASS tickets were your ticket to ride, so to speak. As of June 2017, paper FASTPASS tickets are being phased out. Instead your park tickets or annual passes are used to obtain FASTPASSes and scanned at the ride or attraction at the appointed return time. The paper printed out at the FASTPASS kiosk serves as a reminder of your return time.
This shift sets the stage for Disney MaxPass, which will require guests to use the Disneyland app to take advantage of this optional, paid add-on.
Key Points of the Disneyland FASTPASS Service
- FASTPASS is not available during early entry, and FASTPASS distribution does not begin until the parks' regular opening hours. This is why on days with Extra Magic Hour at Disney California Adventure, you will often see the early entrants lining up at the FASTPASS distribution area for Radiator Springs Racers right before the park officially opens.
- All members of your party must have FASTPASSES to use the FASTPASS return entrance, but it is not necessary for your entire party to enter the FASTPASS distribution line. It saves more time if one person in your group enters the queue and obtains FASTPASSES for your whole party. Your designated "FASTPASS runner" just needs to have all of your group's admission tickets to obtain return time tickets.
- If you send a runner to get the FASTPASSES with everyone’s park tickets, keep in mind that all guests’ park tickets must have been used to enter the park that day. You cannot acquire a FASTPASS for someone still asleep at the hotel. First come, first served.
- You cannot obtain another FASTPASS until the start of the return time for your current FASTPASS or two hours since you obtained the FASTPASS have passed. It states on the FASTPASS at what time you will be eligible to acquire another FASTPASS.
- When an attraction is closed, they close the FASTPASS distribution during that time.
- The FASTPASS distribution machines at Disneyland and Disney California Adventure are on a closed grid, which means you may only have one FASTPASS from either park at one time.
Disneyland FASTPASS Tips
- Some rides distribute FASTPASSES more quickly than others. Space Mountain at Disneyland and Radiator Springs Racers and Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: BREAKOUT! at Disney California Adventure often run out of FASTPASSES early in the day.
- Obtain your first FASTPASS upon entering the park. Note your one-hour window return times, and also note the time that you can acquire your next FASTPASS. Then go on rides that do not offer FASTPASS in the meantime.
- Acquire your second pass (even if you have not used your first one yet). In the morning, plan to use your FASTPASS near the end of the return window (but don’t be late!) and take advantage of the shorter morning lines for rides that do not offer FASTPASS.
- Don't use FASTPASS if the standby queue is 25 minutes or less. That being said, we sometimes grab a FASTPASS for a short wait anyway. Thunder Mountain is one of our favorite rides and we love to ride it twice. Sometimes the standby wait is 25 minutes and the FASTPASS return time is also 25 minutes. We have been known to grab a FASTPASS, wait in line to ride it and when we exit the ride, we can use our FASTPASS to ride it again without waiting. And we are free to grab another FASTPASS for another ride, so it does not affect using FASTPASS for other rides. If we have a few minutes to spare, we send a runner to grab FASTPASSES for a nearby ride before hopping on Thunder Mountain again.
- FASTPASS distribution can run out and frequently does during peak times for the most popular attractions.
- The FASTPASS return time is strictly enforced. You will need to return within the designated return time in order to enter the FASTPASS queue.
- FASTPASSES only are valid on the day they are issued.
- If you return to use your FASTPASS in your allotted one-hour window, but the ride is temporarily closed—breakdowns do occur—then hold onto your FASTPASS. They will honor it anytime before closing that day if the ride reopens. This is the only way you can use your FASTPASS outside of your one-hour window.
- Always look at your FASTPASS return tickets after you've printed them. Verify that each of your party members has received FASTPASSES. If you pull your next FASTPASS too soon after obtaining your previous FASTPASSES, you will be printed a ticket that says you are not yet eligible to obtain the FASTPASS.
- A number of FASTPASS attractions also offer Single Rider Lines, which are usually just as short as FASTPASS and do not have time restrictions. If your party doesn't mind being separated on the ride itself, this is the way to go! Keep in mind that if the single rider line gets too long they will close the single rider line temporarily.
- FASTPASS for World of Color is distributed near The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel's Undersea Adventure. This the best (and FREE) way to ensure you get preferred viewing for this popular show. If you are park-hopping and want to hop back into California Adventure for the last show of World of Color, be sure to pick up a FASTPASS for it earlier in the day. They may require you to have a valid ticket and FASTPASS to get back into the park, especially if show time is right at park closing.
- If you have a baby, toddler or preschooler who is under three years old but able to see a show or go on a FASTPASS ride, you do not need a FASTPASS for him or her. Children under three do not have a ticket to put into the machine. Just tell the ride attendant that the child is under three and they will wave you through as long as everyone else has valid FASTPASSES.
- If you are traveling with a child who does not meet the height requirement for a ride you can combine Rider Switch with FASTPASS.
- Guests using Disability Access Service (DAS) can also utilize FASTPASS.
Disneyland Park FASTPASS Attractions
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters
- Fantasmic! (disconnected from the FASTPASS system; distributed near Frontier Landing in Frontierland)
- Haunted Mansion
- Indiana Jones Adventure (also offers Single Rider Line)
- Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
- Space Mountain
- Splash Mountain (also offers Single Rider Line)
- Star Tours - The Adventures Continue
Disney California Adventure FASTPASS Attractions
- California Screamin'
- Goofy's Sky School
- Grizzly River Run
- Guardians of the Galaxy—Mission: BREAKOUT!
- Radiator Springs Racers (distributed near It's Tough to Be A Bug!)
- Soarin' Around the World
- Toy Story Midway Mania
- World of Color (disconnected from the FASTPASS system; distributed near The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure.
We hope you've found this information on the Disneyland FASTPASS Service helpful as you plan your visit to Disneyland. Have a FASTPASS tip we haven't mentioned? Share it in comments below!