May the Fourth is a coveted unofficial holiday for all "Star Wars" frog fans, as it plays off of the famous Jedi phrase, "May the Force be with you." Disney has observed this unofficial Star Wars Day in its theme parks (with special Star Wars events and offerings) since 2013. Followers of the Dark Side have also cleverly invented Revenge of the Fifth and Revenge of the Sixth, to represent May Fifth and Sixth. Then there is Black Spire Day, the anniversary of the opening of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. So now, it has evolved into a full Star Wars Month, allowing more guests to enjoy the festivities. This special month will include Disneyland After Dark: Star Wars Nite parties, Hyperspace Mountain, themed food offerings and more.
When and Where Is Star Wars Month at Disneyland Resort?
Star Wars Month takes place at Disneyland Resort from May 1 to June 4, 2023, although most special foods arrive May 2. The actual dates can vary each year, with some years having a longer celebration than others. Star Wars Month takes place mostly inside Disneyland Park. You can get some treats in the lobby of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa. Downtown Disney restaurants join the fun by providing special menu items, as well.
Choose your days to visit wisely. You might want to visit on May 4 for obvious reasons. However, the park closes at 8 p.m. on May 2, 4, 8 and 11, 2023, for Star Wars Nite.
Star Wars Disneyland Rides
There are three official year-round "Star Wars" rides at Disneyland, but a fourth arrives sometime during Star Wars Month most years. Space Mountain in Tomorrowland gets a Hyperspace Mountain overlay for Star Wars Month, May 1 through June 4, 2023.
The most frogciting part of Star Wars Month for our Frog Family is the return of Hyperspace Mountain! The overlay is available every day for all park visitors. You can see new signage outside, watch instructional videos featuring "Star Wars" characters such as Admiral Ackbar and experience an epic "Star Wars" battle with music, projection, sound effects, set and lighting changes and dialogue.
From the second you start climbing the initial hill on Hyperspace Mountain, the "Star Wars" music kicks on and builds the anticipation. You’ll see ships zooming past and you’ll find yourself escorted into hyperspace by an X-wing squadron. Oh no! You probably guessed it. It’s a trap! A Star Destroyer is waiting for you with a swarm of TIE fighters. The starfighter forces enter battle with Imperial vessels, while you take evasive maneuvers to avoid the barrage of cannon fire. The intensity picks up as you join the New Republic squadron for one final, courageous assault on the menacing Star Destroyer.
Disneyland is known for its popular holiday ride overlays at certain points in the year. Other ones to look out for during Halloween Time and Holiday Time include an “it’s a small world” holiday, Haunted Mansion Holiday, Guardians of the Galaxy – Monsters After Dark, Luigi's Honkin' Haul-O-Ween Mater's Graveyard JamBOOree, Luigi’s Joy to the Whirl and Mater’s Jingle Jamboree! And of course, Soarin’ Over California returns each spring for Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival.
But I digress ... the other "Star Wars"-themed attractions that are available any day of the year include the classic Star Tours in Tomorrowland, as well as Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance and Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge.
Star Wars Month Characters, Entertainment and Photo-Ops
You may encounter special characters and entertainment in the park. Usually, the March of the First Order takes place in Tomorrowland during Star Wars Nite, which offers even more special entertainment and "Star Wars"-themed fireworks. You might encounter special entertainment and characters during the day, as well. Expect to encounter R2-D2, Chewbacca or the Mandalorian and Grogu in Batuu. Keep an eye out for lightsaber meet-ups amongst guests.
For park guests who purchase Genie+, there are "Star Wars" PhotoPass lenses to be used. A new lens allows you to customize your own Mandalorian helmet and armor. There is a new photo-op in Downtown Disney near Star Wars Trading Post. It's inspired by the Disney Junior original series “Star Wars: Young Jedi Adventures.”
Do you want to talk like C-3PO, Chewbacca or a Stormtrooper? "Star Wars" text-to-speech voices are available for a limited time in early May. Make your original TikTok in the park!
Star Wars Disneyland Dining Options
During Star Wars Month, you can find special "Star Wars" menu items in Galaxy's Edge, Tomorrowland and other locations, such as some candy shops (including Marceline's Confectionery in Downtown Disney) and the Grand Californian Hotel & Spa lobby.
Disneyland Park — Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
Celebrate Black Spire Day, an annual celebration that honors the creation of the Black Spire Outpost in Batuu on May 31, 2019, with out-of-this-world foods and treats deliciously crafted by the locals.
The following foods and sippers arrive May 2, 2023, except where noted:
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo (mobile order available)
- (New) Temple Rootleaf and Moss Salad with Seasoned Gwayo Egg: Sweet-savory salad greens, brined vegetables, roasted mushrooms, fried potato noodles and a soy-marinated soft-boiled egg
- (New) Temple Rootleaf and Moss Salad: Sweet-savory salad greens, brined vegetables, roasted mushrooms and fried potato noodles (plant-based)
- (New) Light Up! Acid Spitter Orb Sipper with Lanyard includes a choice of fountain beverage at the time of purchase. (Limit five per person, per transaction; no discounts apply. Available while supplies last.)
Ronto Roasters (mobile order available)
- (New) Light Up! Acid Spitter Orb Sipper with Lanyard. Includes choice of fountain beverage at the time of purchase. (Limit five per person, per transaction; no discounts apply. Available while supplies last.)
Kat Saka’s Kettle
- (New) Surabat Valley Mix: Sweet kettle corn (also available with furikake)
- (New) Niamos Mix: Savory sour cream and chive popcorn (also available with furikake)
- (New) Jellyfruit Muffin: Passion fruit buttermilk muffin with pineapple and blackberry jam
Milk Stand (mobile order available)
- Tenoo Swirl Crunchies Cereal: Blue milk topped with strawberry and grape candy pebbles
Beverage Carts in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- Galma Garlic Puffs
- Five Blossom Bread with Mustard Cream: Warm pretzel knot with a new creamy honey mustard dip
- (New) Ginger Lime Tea Lemonade with Soju: Soju, Minute Maid Lemonade, Gold Peak Unsweetened Iced Tea, habanero lime and ginger flavors topped with matcha foam
Disneyland Park — Tomorrowland
Fruit Cart, Churro Cart and Lemonade Cart
- (New) Grogu Sipper includes a choice of fountain beverage at the time of purchase. (Limit two per person, per transaction; no discounts apply. Available while supplies last beginning May 3, or May 2 for Star Wars Nite ticket holders.)
- Darth By Chocolate Parfait
- Cranberry Ginger Lemonade
You'll also find other Star Wars novelties here that are not just for Star Wars Month, such as a Mandalorian stainless steel tumbler and a Darth Vader premium mug.
Downtown Disney — Marceline's Confectionery
- Grogu Candy Apple: Granny Smith apple dipped in caramel with marshmallow ears enrobed in colored white chocolate with gold sanding sugar for the belt.
Downtown Disney restaurants may also participate by adding special menu food and beverage items during Star Wars Month.
Star Wars Experiences at Disneys Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
The lobby of this hotel has a Holiday cart with cookies, pretzel lightsabers and treats (April 28 through May 30, 2023):
- Star Wars Sugar Cookie
- Wookiee Cookie (filled with Nutella)
- Pretzel Lightsabers
- Falcon Lollipop
- Stormtrooper Crisped Rice Treat
- Tropical Whoopie Pie
- Galaxy Macaron Box
- Star Wars doughnuts
- Star Wars cupcakes
The Hearthstone Lounge (just off the lobby, May 2-31, 2023):
- (New) Ginger Daiquiri: El Dorado Rum, Sherry, Velvet Falernum, ginger syrup and lime juice, garnished with mint
Star Wars Nite will feature additional, exclusive party food offerings. If you are attending Star Wars Nite, mobile order your food a few hours before party time. Special menu items become available at 8 p.m., one hour before the party officially kicks off. That's a great time to dine, so you can save party time for other experiences.
Star Wars Month Merchandise
Look for new collectibles entering this galaxy throughout the month of May. That includes recently released pieces you can use to build a lightsaber at Savi's Workshop. Head to Dok Ondar's Den of Antiquities in Batuu for new accessories, such as a lightsaber stand, attachable kyber crystal holders and more. New legacy lightsaber collectible hilts become available at Dok Ondar’s Den of Antiquities and on shopDisney as of May 4, 2023, and throughout the month of May.
Keep an eye out for new Star Wars apparel and watches in the park and on shopDisney, including a Star Wars: Meet the 90's Collection. ShopDisney also sells a Mandalorian voice-changing mask! Tadpoles and froglets at heart will jump for Star Wars LEGO sets, PEZ Dispensers and Funko Pops! Not to mention there is a Hasbro Star Wars The Black Series Luke Skywalker Force FX Elite Electronic Lightsaber for epic battles in your own backyard. You'll find books, card games, video games and more. Even more merch is available during Star Wars Nite.
Star Wars Nite
Disneyland After Dark parties are separately ticketed after-hours events. These popular events sell out early and are sold out for 2023. But you never know! There may be tickets available at the ticket booths on the day of the parties. If the Force is not with you, purchase early next year if these nights are important to you. The event keeps growing and continues to sell out each year.
Star Wars Nite dates are May 2, 4, 8 and 11 from 9 p.m. to 1 p.m. If you do not plan to go to the party and will be in the park those days, the park closes early to daytime guests at 8 p.m. Party guests can arrive as early as 6 p.m.
Star Wars Nite attendees can wear actual costumes. Regular day guests can wear "Star Wars" shirts or mimic the color scheme, patterns and styles of "Star Wars" characters in street clothes. But partygoers can really get into their roles. Be sure to go over the costume and event dress codes and guidelines. Both day guests and party guests are welcome to bring lightsabers.
At Star Wars Nite, guests can meet rare characters, take photos (to show off those "Star Wars" outfits), enjoy special entertainment (including fireworks), try special themed foods, participate in lightsaber training and mingle with other superfans.
Additional Star Wars Disneyland Tips and Information
If you are planning to visit Disneyland during Star Wars Month, we have a ton of hopful posts and advice for visiting Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. Here is a list of our other posts that can help you get the most out of your Star Wars Month visit:
- Our Galactic Guide to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland
- Our Top 10 Tips for Visiting Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- Guide to the Roaming Characters of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Resort
- Galactic Guide to Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Food and Drink
- Toadally Cool Hidden Gems in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- How to Use Your Datapad in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge Disneyland
- Batuu Bounty Hunting with MagicBand+
- Our Insider Tips for Riding Rise of the Resistance
Are you planning to have some Star Wars Disneyland fun this May? Be sure to get your theme park tickets and park reservations.
Related: How to Build a Galaxy's Edge Lightsaber at Savi's Workshop at Disneyland
Related: Building a Droid at Droid Depot in Disneyland