Space Mountain® Attraction
Skip the Lines with the Orlando Planning App!
Download our FREE on-the-go iPhone app for easy access to current wait times, preset and custom touring plans, and daily park activities.Learn More
About Space Mountain® Attraction
Space Mountain® Attraction Details
TypePoi | Ride
Height Req.44" (112cm) minimum
Head inside the Space Port, where you journey into outer space begins. The queue is decked out in all-things space, preparing you for the space voyage. Peer through the space station's windows at the stars shining and glistening in a sea of dense darkness. A sleek, rocket-shaped vehicle is your mode of transportation into deep space on Disney's Space Mountain® Attraction! As you prepare to blast off on your galactic adventure, you'll ascend the 180-foot high mountain, passing the Mission Control booth along the way.
Once at the top of Space Mountain® Attraction, you'll fly through the darkness as your rocket propels through deep space. During your ride, black holes, satellites, shooting stars and constellations hurtle past you. Every move, drop, twist and turn will come as a complete surprise since you're engulfed in darkness on the roller coaster! The space experience is complete with visuals and audio of "Starry-O-Phonic Sounds" that wiz all around you.
Your rocket ship reaches a maximum speed of 28 miles per hour on Space Mountain® Attraction. This may seem like a slow speed than many roller coasters, but because the attraction is in the dark, it gives an illusion of feeling much faster. After you make it safely back into Space Port, you exit your rocket ship onto a moving runway to the Tomorrowland® Area, passing robots, scenes of future homes and businesses and even a display of humans landing on Mars. Don't forget to check out your image of riding Space Mountain® Attraction on the monitors displayed!
Space Mountain® Attractionis an indoor roller coaster in Tomorrowland® Area at Magic Kingdom® Park. The duration of the ride is just under 3 minutes. Space Mountain® Attraction features 2 rocket-shaped vehicles consisting of 3 seats per vehicle that blast off from 2 separate tracks. Guests sit by themselves in the ride vehicle; there is no side-by-side seating.
Guests must transfer from motorized scooter or ECV to an available wheelchair, then from the wheelchair to the vehicle. Due to the nature of the ride, service animals are not permitted on the attraction.
Source: Undercover Tourist
Frog Family Tips and Fun Facts about Space Mountain® Attraction
Frog Family Tips
- Use the standby line and save your Genie+ for another headliner if the wait time is 30 minutes or less. Along with Splash Mountain® Attraction and Peter Pan's Flight® Attraction, Space Mountain® Attraction is one of the most popular attractions at Magic Kingdom® Park, but it has a very fast loading time!
- Go within the first hour of park opening on busy days at Magic Kingdom® Park. If you can't ride Space Mountain® Attraction then, try the hour before the park closes or with a Lightning Lane selection.
- Be aware that it can be rough on "grown-up" backs. But Space Mountain® Attraction is a Magic Kingdom® Park favorite, and the Frog Famiy wouldn't dream of skipping it!
- Visit the nearby Tomorrowland® Arcade or ride Tomorrowland® Transit Authority PeopleMover if you opt out of riding the coaster. It goes right through Space Mountain® Attraction.
- This is Disney's first Space Mountain® Attraction. It opened on January 15, 1975.
- Disney received help from Gordon Cooper, a NASA astronaut, during the designing process of the roller coaster. The Mercury 9 and Gemini 5 astronaut joined Disney as a consultant to be sure Space Mountain® Attraction reflected the true nature of space flight.
- Space Mountain is a favorite and popular attraction at Disney parks in Paris, Tokyo and in Anaheim, California.
- Space Mountain® Attraction is one of the largest mountains being over 180 feet high and over 300 feet in diameter!
Source: Undercover Tourist
Similar Things to Do
More resources for Space Mountain® Attraction
Related Orlando Posts
Latest Undercover Tourist Posts
- Our ~Grinchy~ Guide to Christmas at Universal Studios Hollywood
- What’s Coming to Disneyland Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood in 2022 and Beyond — '100 Years of Magic' Kicks Off January 2023!
- Your Step-by-Step Guide to Disney World Mobile Ordering
- Our Spooky-Good Guide to Disneyland Halloween Time 2022
- A Super Guide to Avengers Campus Characters